Friday, January 10, 2020

Manatee Madness!

Stage work is coming along nicely, with the foundations laid down for the Rain, Snow, and Volcano stage. The Black Friday stage is proving a little more difficult but I believe part of that lies with the car movement code which needs reworking since it is a remnant of the early program - the car code was some of the first things I programmed.

While working on Bag Boy I had created several test programs to work on various ideas to see if they worked and then I'd they did I would integrate them into Bag Boy. If things didn't work out I discarded the program and moved on. This is how I came to use the DPC+ kernel. After initial progress with the standard kernel learning batari Basic I quickly learned of some of the limitations and tested out the Multi-Sprite kernel before landing on the DPC+ kernel.

One such test program survived these periodic purges and has gained a life of it's own.  It is called Manatee Madness!

I created that program to work in a simpler framework to determine better movement code, difficulty progression, and stage selection. I also wanted to continue working on sound effects, bit operations, and a higher definition titlescreen.

Essentially this program works similar to Bag Boy!  You play as a Manatee and must survive the day avoiding boaters, tourists and divers, fishermen, red tide, and alligators. Each stage is a part of the day - morning, afternoon, evening, and night. Each part has its own threats. The manatee must surface for oxygen periodically and not get hurt. Some injuries take health, some oxygen, and some both.

Anyway, here is a link to Manatee Madness test video. Bag Boy is not being abandoned but I was surprised at how quickly this test program turned into a game of it's own and will continue to serve as a test for my main project - Bag Boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Manatee Madness!

Stage work is coming along nicely, with the foundations laid down for the Rain, Snow, and Volcano stage. The Black Friday stage is proving ...