Thursday, June 20, 2019

Playfield Change!

I had been wracking my brain for the last couple months on the playfield change.  My goal was to have "stages" where the game would alternate every so often to a "rain stage" or "snow stage."  Essentially I had wanted some gameplay variation and difficulty progression and to do this I wanted to simulate changing weather.  For testing purposes I made the playfield change when the score hit a certain number.  That seemed to work but the only problem I was experiencing was that the playfield colors never reverted back to normal after the stage was completed... until now.

While I am sure there are better ways to accomplish this goal (I am still working on learning the code for changing the colors for certain lines of the playfield), currently when conditions are met the playfield colors will change. Based on some of the suggestions from the Zero Page Homebrew channel, I am shifting the stages from score-driven changes to cart-driven, meaning that each stage is completed when x number of carts are collected. For example, if every stage lasts 10 carts, the rain stage would begin at 10, snow at 20, and so on.

What I am thinking of doing is having a variable for the number of carts collected.  Once that hits the chosen number it will set off another variable which will then determine which stage. I was considering 25 as a good number of carts and I think I might have a sprite animation appear each time the cart is delivered to the manager (maybe once every 5 carts so as to not waste space). 

I only have the beginnings down but now that this hurdle is met it should be no time until I have the parameters for each stage met, such as altered movement.  I do plan on keeping the additional cars to appear at different score intervals so that if players try to rush power ups they are met with increasing difficulty sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manatee Madness!

Stage work is coming along nicely, with the foundations laid down for the Rain, Snow, and Volcano stage. The Black Friday stage is proving ...